This recipe for a gluten-free Tex-Mex trifle bowl layered dinner salad complete with creamy vegan cilantro citrus avocado dressing is perfect for your next dinner fiesta. It’s so easy to throw together without having to measure anything. It also saves time and expense because the beautifully layered trifle bowl pulls double duty as a colorful centerpiece. Plus, when everything is prepared ahead of time… the hostess can spend the evening in the dining room with her guests rather than in the kitchen. Most guests should be able to partake of this healthy gluten-free vegan meal, and dressing is served on the side so that everyone can control their own portions. Once everyone is taken care of… there is nothing left to do but ¡Fiesta Forever!
Layered Dinner Salad Ingredients:
1: torn romaine leaves (or any lettuce)
2: prepared black beans (rinsed canned or cooked dried)
3: chopped green onions (or leeks)
4: diced Roma tomatoes (or any variety)
5: diced black olives (or green)
6: fresh cilantro leaves (or a sprinkling of dried)
7: vegan cheese (Follow Your Heart brand vegan & soy free shredded cheddar or any variety)
8: sprouted pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
- Serve with gluten-free vegan Beanito brand chips (or any tortilla type chip), fresh salsa, and homemade creamy cilantro citrus avocado dressing (or sour cream, plain yogurt, store bought dressing, or guacamole) on the side.
Cilantro Citrus Avocado Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 cups vegan coconut yogurt unsweetened (or unsweetened almond milk yogurt, or plain dairy yogurt)
- 1 ripe avocado mashed
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or 1 tablespoon of salt substitute if sodium restricted)
- ½ teaspoon dried onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Latin seasoning blend (optional… wholefoods brand has sea salt, garlic, annatto, bitter orange, citric acid, citrus peels & oils)
Layered Dinner Salad Instructions:
Gather, wash, and chop enough ingredients to fill the trifle bowl you have.
Place a layer of each of the fresh ingredients in the order listed… so that you see them through the side like giant savory parfait.
I like to arrange the top in a bullseye pattern with the last ingredients… because a whole layer of cilantro would be demasiado (way too much)!
This is awesome when served with homemade creamy cilantro citrus avocado dressing on the side.
Cilantro Citrus Avocado Dressing Instructions:
Mix all the ingredients together and then blend. (I used an immersion blender.)
This is great to make a day ahead and refrigerate until serving.
I also served the trifle salad with gluten-free vegan Beanito brand chips and fresh peach salsa… to be eaten along with the salad or as a side. (Any variety of tortilla type chip and salsa would be great.) See more of the Cinco de Mayo dinner fiesta featuring this Tex-Mex trifle salad as a centerpiece HERE.
Oh so delicioso y’all! (One simply must speak “Spanglish” at a Tex-Mex dinner fiesta.)